Deep Hollow


It can be fully shocking how much of an impact Rochester’s development has had on the landscape around it. More than two centuries of human habitation can cause some major changes; one of the most impressive may be the complete filling in of the Deep Hollow Creek. Once a magnificent natural feature of Rochester’s west side, this heavily-wooded ravine carved a path from Gates Center to the head of the Lower Falls of the Genesee River. The creek at its heart would prove too tempting a solution for the dumping of wastewater, inevitably leading to it becoming a sewer, a dump, a landfill, and finally commercial or recreational land.

A historical map showing the geographical features around Rochester, with highlighted areas indicating the Deep Hollow Creek and its relation to the Erie Canal and nearby falls.
1822 Map of Monroe County
https://catalogplus.libraryweb.org/?section=resource&resourceid=1116149008

McCrackenville

The gorge at Deep Hollow Creek formed the northern boundary of the settlement at McCrackenville, founded in the 1820s by the McCracken brothers from Batavia. This settlement consisted largely of mills and furniture factories.

A historical map of McCrackenville, located in the township of Gates, New York, showing the layout of the village and its relationship to the Genesee River and Erie Canal.
c.1826 Map of McCrackenville
https://nyheritage.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p16694coll15/id/17265/

The waterway to the west and north of McCrackenville on the map above is what would become known as “Deep Hollow Creek”. At this time, however, it seems to have been called the “Deep Gulf Stream”. McCrackenville’s main street, Broadway [now Lake Avenue] crossed the Deep Gulf Stream via the Gulf Bridge. A bridge at this site was apparently first constructed between 1792 and 1800 by a team of locals; Genesee River historian Bill Davis claimed in a 1984 interview that this bridge was called the “DePaulo Bridge” built by Gideon King and Zadock Granger of King’s Landing. It was this bridge that would see a brief spate of defensive action–though no offensive–during the War of 1812, as we’ll go into later in this post.

A historical map outlining the Deep Gulf Stream with marked pathways and the Gulf Bridge, showcasing the geographic features of McCrackenville.
Cropped and zoomed selection from above map.
Red: Gulf Bridge.
Highlight: Deep Gulf Stream.

Leading to the Deep Gulf Stream was a smaller stream of water from the Erie Canal to the west, entering at a point just to the west of the Gulf Bridge:

Historical map showing the waterway and land features surrounding the Erie Canal and Deep Hollow Creek.
Cropped and zoomed selection from the McCrackenville map.
Stream made by the waste water of the canal, and road leading to the Erie Canal.

Deep Hollow

By the middle of the 19th century, the McCrackenville settlement had been thoroughly attached to the bloodstream of Rochester’s roads, and it had lost much of its individual culture–though apparently the McCrackenville name was still in vogue for names of places and businesses in the area through the 1860s.

An 1875 plat map of the Deep Hollow area in Rochester, showing the creek's path and surrounding streets, including Brisbane, Champion, and Perkins Streets.
1851 Plan of Rochester
Deep Hollow Creek.
https://catalogplus.libraryweb.org/?section=resource&resourceid=1116704856

At this point, School #7 occupied rented quarters in roughly the same position as the replacement building would occupy. At the time, this was the corner of State and Brisbane Streets, which would become Lake and Glenwood Avenues. A new building would be constructed for School #7 in 1859.

As you can see, little existed to the west side of the Deep Hollow ravine at this time. This area would begin to fill in during the 1860s and 1870s.

An 1875 plat map showing the layout of McCrackenville with streets named Perkins, Champion, and Brisbane, alongside the Deep Hollow Creek and the Genesee River.
1858 Map of Rochester
Deep Hollow Creek.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3803m.la000519/?r=0.507,0.095,0.083,0.051,0

Emerson Street would appear in the 1871 directory; Locust Street in the 1872 directory.

An 1875 plat map of McCrackenville and the surrounding area, showing streets, lots, and the outline of Deep Hollow Creek.
1875 Atlas
Deep Hollow Creek.
https://catalogplus.libraryweb.org/?section=resource&resourceid=1116154675

Our first street-name change from old McCrackenville times is Burns Street, which in 1872 is changed to Hastings Avenue.

Next to change would be Brisbane Street: though Glenwood Avenue was originally constructed as a continuation of Brisbane Street in 1875, the “Glenwood Avenue” name won over the entire street as of the 1878 directory.

Champion Street extended across the Deep Hollow sometime before 1875, although the directory steadfastly refused to acknowledge that it went further west than the Hollow.

In 1880, Champion Street residents west of the Hollow petitioned successfully to change the street’s name to “Glenwood Park”, which was extended to the whole of Champion from the river to Fourth Avenue. Having a Glenwood Park and a Glenwood Avenue next to each other created some confusion; I imagine that confusion caused Glenwood Park to be changed to “Glendale Park” in 1889.

Perkins Street would become Ravine Avenue in 1887.

Illustration of a historical map depicting the landscape of Rochester, showing a detailed view of various buildings, homes, and the route of a railway through the area.
1880 View of Rochester [cropped, zoomed selection]
Deep Hollow Creek; the House of Refuge is the large walled complex of buildings at center.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3804r.pm006250/?r=0,0.115,0.296,0.167,0
A historical map of Rochester, highlighting the Deep Hollow Creek area and surrounding streets, with annotations for various locations.
1882 Map of Rochester
Deep Hollow Creek.
https://catalogplus.libraryweb.org/?section=resource&resourceid=1116148948

A Treasure Hunt?

An eerie story takes place at the Deep Hollow Creek on a dark summer night of 1879: a small party of people had been digging around the roots of a tree on the north bank, a “few rods” or approximately 66 feet east of Lake Avenue. When approached, they at first claimed to be digging at the tree’s roots to attain medicinal essences from them; however, in time they revealed their true purpose as treasure hunters.

They related a dream shared with them by the widow of a man, Mr. Benedict, who had envisioned a squaw–an archaic term for a Native American woman, considered a slur–telling him that cartloads of gold lay buried somewhere within Deep Hollow ravine, hidden by an English officer during the Revolutionary War; the Native spirit was its guardian, and she claimed to tire of her charge. Supposedly, the dream ended with a wagon approaching over the bridge, pulled by fiery steeds. After three times dreaming this dream, Benedict decided to see if there was anything to it.

Supposedly, when Mr. Benedict and a hired treasure hunter began their hunt, they drove some poles into the ground at the place envisioned in his dream, near-by the Lake Avenue bridge over Deep Hollow Creek. From the holes issued blue flame, which frightened them–but, what frightened them more was the appearance of that same wagon from Benedict’s dream, driving over the Lake Avenue bridge, pulled by flaming horses.

It sounds like an urban legend, and it doubtless was, but it apparently was enough to draw at least this party and another before it to dig at this spot on the Deep Hollow bank.

A newspaper clipping discussing treasure hunting activity at Deep Hollow Creek near Lake Avenue, suggesting that gold was buried there over a hundred years ago.
An old newspaper clipping discussing mysterious digging observed by the Marsh family, detailing activities that took place predominantly at night, with a lack of vegetation around the digging site.
A newspaper clipping discussing a digging party at Deep Hollow Creek, mentioning their intentions and considerations related to safety and permissions.
A newspaper clipping discussing a story about treasure believed to be buried near a tree, linked to local history and a family's involvement in the search.
A black and white newspaper clipping discussing an incident involving Mr. Marsh and Mr. Kaye hiding from diggers near their property at night.
An old newspaper article recounts a theft involving a horse and buggy owned by Mr. E. Peshine Smith, detailing the events surrounding the men who boldly took it away.
A newspaper clipping discussing a remarkable dream about buried treasure near Deep Hollow Creek.
A historic text describing a man's dream about buried treasure near Deep Hollow Creek, with information about the area's past and the bridge that crossed the creek.
A historical newspaper article discussing a treasure-hunting incident near Deep Hollow Creek, featuring blue flames and a ghostly wagon.
Union and Advertiser
May 14, 1879

Based on the descriptions given in the above article, I attempted to find general locations named in the story. On the below 1875 plat map, red represents the property of May Marsh–erroneously given as Mary Marsh–daughter of the Seth W. Marsh from the article.

1875 plat map showing the Deep Hollow Creek area, marked with a green circle to indicate the waterway's path next to properties owned by the Marsh family.
1875 Atlas
Red: the Marsh home, south side of Deep Hollow Creek ravine.
Green: Approximate dig area, opposite [north] edge of Deep Hollow Creek ravine.

https://catalogplus.libraryweb.org/?section=resource&resourceid=1116154675

The Marsh house would go on to have a grist mill built on its south side, at the corner of Lake and Glenwood Avenues, in 1884; this mill was built by Kelly, Godley & Co.

Historic newspaper article announcing the opening of the Hygienic Mills, detailing improvements in flour manufacturing, and mentioning the senior member of the firm.
Democrat & Chronicle
Friday, June 13, 1884
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-kelly-godley-c/169300105/
"Hygienic Mills" advertisement showcasing Kelly's celebrated wheat meal, corn meal, and roller flour from 286 & 288 Lake Avenue, Rochester.
1884 Directory
https://www.libraryweb.org/rochcitydir/images/1884/1884complete.pdf

In 1886, the Hygienic Mills became property of James H. Gorsline.

A historical advertisement for Jas. Gorsline, proprietor of Hygienic Mills in Rochester, showcasing the production of roller process Graham and entire wheat flour, along with granulated corn meal.
1888 The Industries of the City of Rochester
https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Industries_of_the_City_of_Rochester/xC9FAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0
1894 History and Commerce of Rochester Illustrated
https://www.google.com/books/edition/History_and_Commerce_of_Rochester_Illust
A vintage map showing the layout of a section of Rochester, indicating streets such as Lake Avenue and notable buildings like a grist mill and public school.
1888 Plat Map
Red: James Gorsline’s grist mill, formerly the Marsh home.
https://photo.libraryweb.org/rochimag/rpm/rpm00/rpm00273.jpg
A historical plat map showing the layout of the Hygienic Roller Mills and its surrounding structures in Rochester, indicating locations of various milling equipment.
1892 Sanborn Map
The Hygienic Roller Mills of James Gorsline.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3804rm.g3804rm_g06217189203/?sp=33&st=image&r=0.633,-0.012,0.472,0.265,0

In 1888, a massive fire entirely destroyed the mill. Though heat from the fire kept catching the roof of the old Marsh house on fire, firemen were able to prevent it from being destroyed as well.

Image of a historical article discussing a fire at a mill, detailing the efforts of firefighters and the conditions during the incident.
Democrat & Chronicle
Wednesday, July 25, 1888
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-fire-destroys-gor/168846735/

The mill was rebuilt some time thereafter.

Gorsline’s “Hygienic Roller Mills”, like the Glenwood Mill across Deep Hollow, were powered by cables running from waterwheels on the riverbank.

The mill was operated by Gorsline until his death in 1901, whereupon it became the L. A. Rogers & Company mill.

A historical map of Hygienic Mills located at Lake Avenue and Glenwood Avenue, indicating various structures, including the main mill and storage areas.
1911 Sanborn Map
Red: Hygienic Mills of L. A. Rogers & Co.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3804rm.g3804rm_g06217191101/?sp=89&st=image&r=0.061,0.455,0.476,0.268,0

In 1915, it was renovated to serve as the offices of A. Friederich and Sons contractors, one of the oldest construction companies in Rochester.

Historical newspaper article discussing the sale and remodeling of the old roller flour mill of L.A. Rogers & Company, located at 710 Lake Avenue.
Democrat & Chronicle
Sunday, March 21, 1915
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-l-a-rogers-mill/168890130/

A. Friederich & Sons held the property until 1975, when the company went bankrupt; No. 710 Lake Avenue was seized by the IRS for nonpayment of taxes, and sold at public auction.

An 1875 plat map showing properties in the area of Lake Avenue and Glenwood Avenue, with marked locations indicating various commercial buildings, including R. Friederich & Sons Contractors and a storage shed.
1950 Sanborn Map
Red: Friederich & Sons offices, former Jas. Gorsline mill.
Green: The former Glenwood Mill.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3804rm.g3804rm_g06217195001/?sp=91&r=-0.074,0.341,0.91,0.548,0
$500 fine for unpaid taxes article discussing the conviction of Edward J. Weldon for failing to make tax deposits for A. Friederich & Sons Co.
Democrat & Chronicle
Tuesday, February 15, 1977
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-unpaid-taxes/168893585/

Niagara Frontier Services Inc. purchased the site and broke ground for a new Tops supermarket in 1976; the location opened in 1977.

A newspaper clipping announcing the construction of a Tops supermarket on Lake Avenue, detailing the sale of the former A. Friederich & Sons Co. property and the significance of the development.
Democrat & Chronicle
Sunday, August 22, 1976
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-tops-built-at-710/169040743/

A larger Tops would be built at the site in 1999; the store closed in 2018.

The corner where the mill stood at Lake and Glenwood Avenues is now the back end of the defunct Tops grocery store:

A view of a flat concrete building wall with a red stripe, surrounded by trees along a roadside, under a cloudy sky.
Google Maps
Former site of Marsh home, Gorsline/Rogers mill, etc., corner Lake and Glenwood Avenues.

Glenwood Lake

For a brief time in the 1880s, Deep Hollow Creek was a source of harvested winter ice for the “Glenwood Ice Co.”, proprietor Henry East.

Henry East was a butcher and seller of meats on Front Street, at the corner of Exchange Place [Corinthian Place].

An advertisement for Henry East & Son, featuring images of a sheep and a horse-drawn cart, promoting smoked meats and ice from the Glenwood Ice Company.
1882 Directory
https://www.libraryweb.org/rochcitydir/images/1882/1882complete.pdf

Henry East was proprietor of the Henry East & Son Meats & Provisions until 1887, when he stepped down from active business in favor of his son, Henry R. East.

Portraits of Henry East and Henry Rufus East, both identified as merchants from the late 19th century.
1902 Notable Men of Rochester
https://libraryweb.org/~digitized/books/Notable_Men_of_Rochester_and_Vicinity.pdf
A detailed 19th-century plat map showing streets and properties in a Rochester neighborhood, with labels for various landowners.
1888 Plat Map
Red: Nos. 37-41 Front Street, location of Henry East’s meat store.
https://photo.libraryweb.org/rochimag/rpm/rpm00/rpm00242.jpg

In the late 1870s, Henry East purchased a parcel of land adjacent to the Deep Hollow Creek ravine, at the corner of Glenwood Avenue and what was then White Alley. White Alley was changed to Champion Street in 1883, but would become Malvern Street in 1898. The 1888 Plat Map below has it as Champion Street.

A historical map of the Glenwood and Champion Street area, highlighting properties and structures around Deep Hollow Creek, with a section labeled for Henry East.
1888 Plat Map
Red: Henry East‘s ice house.
Green: A house belonging to Henry East.
http://photo.libraryweb.org/rochimag/rpm/rpm00/rpm00273.jpg

Around 1880, East erected a dam across the Deep Hollow Creek, backing up the waters and causing the ravine to fill in behind the dam. This body of water East dubbed “Glenwood Lake”; beside it he built a large ice-house 80′ to a side, employing thirty men in the harvesting of ice from the artificial lake.

An old newspaper article discussing the construction of an ice house by Henry East, mentioning Glenwood Lake and detailing the dam created to harness water from the ravine.
Old newspaper article discussing the success of an ice pond, revealing that cutters were sawing through eighteen inches of clear, solid ice.
An article discussing the history and impact of Rochester's Deep Hollow Creek, featuring an image of the nearby Glenwood Pond Ice House.
An image of a historical article detailing ice preservation techniques, describing the design of ice houses with ventilation and insulation methods.
An article detailing the construction and operation of an ice house, explaining how it preserves ice using heated air and features a large elevator system to transport the ice.
Democrat & Chronicle
Friday, January 21, 1881
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-ice-house-on-gle/169472981/

The ice house wasn’t apparently very long-lived, though ice houses rarely were. By the 1892 Sanborn map, there is no sign of the large building by the ravine; the foundation of a new house is being built next to No. 57 Glenwood Avenue.

A historical plat map showing the layout of Champion Street and adjacent properties, with buildings marked in yellow and a ravine indicated at the edge.
1892 Sanborn Map
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3804rm.g3804rm_g06217189203/?sp=34&r=0.017,0.864,0.565,0.317,0

Henry East would die May 7th, 1897.

A newspaper clipping announcing the death of Henry East, detailing his prominence as a meat dealer and his contributions to the development of the city.
Obituary of Henry East, a prominent Rochester businessman, detailing his life, illness, and passing.
A historical newspaper clipping discussing Henry R. East, who established a market on State Street in Rochester and later on Front Street.
A black and white newspaper article discussing the life and contributions of an individual prominent in community and fraternal circles in Rochester, highlighting his involvement in local organizations and development projects.
Obituary notice mentioning the funeral arrangements for a man married to Miss Eleanor Bow, listing surviving family members and details about the service.
Union & Advertiser, May 8th, 1897
Black and white portrait of a man with a beard and glasses, wearing a suit and tie, identified as Henry East.
Union & Advertiser, May 8th, 1897

The above obituary of Henry East claims he was a prominent figure in the development of the Glenwood area of the city:

“Mr. East was one of the prime movers in the enterprise which changed old Glenwood, that portion of the city bounded by Deep Hollow, the Erie canal and Lexington avenue, from a thick woods of beechnut, chestnut, hickory and maple trees, with many low spots, that half the year were stagnant swamps and ponds, into the level plain, intersected with streets and avenues, thickly studded with houses that it is now.

The business bearing his son’s name, Henry R. East Meats & Provisions on the corner of Front and Corinthian, would continue until its bankruptcy in 1907.

The area of Deep Hollow Creek that was dammed up for “Glenwood Lake” is now Tacoma Park on the corner of Glenwood Avenue and Tacoma Street

A green park area featuring trees and a playground, located at a street intersection on a sunny day.
Google Maps
Tacoma Park from Glenwood Avenue, built over Deep Hollow Creek land.

Death in Deep Hollow

As beautiful a natural feature as the Deep Hollow Creek ravine was, it was also a hazard. Sometimes children would drown in the waters, like poor Carrie Hughes who drowned in the creek near the river on May 1st of 1887. More dramatically, the unwary might plummet the full depth of the ravine and meet their untimely end upon the rocks, as happened to James Bowden in August of 1886.

Bowden lived in a house behind No. 24 Glenwood Avenue, fronting on Leavenworth Place. One August afternoon he was out with his wife, looking for a hen’s nest in the underbrush near the edge of the Deep Hollow. He lost his footing, and plummeted sixty feet, breaking his neck and skull on impact with the ground below.

Newspaper article detailing the accident of James Bowden, who fell sixty feet into Deep Hollow while searching for a hen's nest.
Democrat & Chronicle
Wednesday, August 04, 1886
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-james-bowden-fall/169404438/
Newspaper obituary announcing the death of James Bowden, specifying the funeral details from a residence on Glenwood Avenue.
Democrat & Chronicle
Thursday, August 05, 1886
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-24-glenwood-avenu/169405487/
A historical excerpt showing names and occupations from a directory, prominently featuring James Bowden as a laborer residing at 24 Glenwood Avenue.
1886 Directory
https://www.libraryweb.org/rochcitydir/images/1886/1886a-b.pdf
A historical map illustrating the layout of the Deep Hollow area in Rochester, highlighting residential buildings, streets, and the creek's path.
1888 Plat Map
Red: No. 24 Glenwood Ave.
Green: House where James Bowden boarded.

http://photo.libraryweb.org/rochimag/rpm/rpm00/rpm00273.jpg

Fort Bender

In 1924, an exciting discovery was made when excavations were being made for a gas station on the corner of Glenwood and Lake Avenues, in front of old School #7. Rough stone foundations were revealed, believed by local historians to be the remnants of Fort Bender, a redoubt built at a bridge across Deep Hollow during the War of 1812.

The name of Fort Bender came from Hastings R. Bender, a lawyer, who came from Vermont to Frankfort in 1811. In 1814, responding to news that the British naval commander Admiral Yeo was commanding a fleet on Lake Ontario, Rochesterville mustered its defenses. While primary fortifications and artillery were set up at Charlotte by the Valiant 77, Hastings R. Bender led a group of men to fortify the Deep Hollow.

From this position, a fortification could hold the bridge across the ravine against British troops, even destroying it if need be by pulling out its anchors and allowing it to fall into the gorge below. Furthermore, a narrow and hidden vantage point was afforded defenders where they could assault any British vessels approaching along the Genesee.

Bender and his men threw up a rude fortification at the Hollow; it amounted to little more than an earthen embankment, reinforced with timbers and stones. Atop this bulwark, a four-pounder gun [or two, according to Scrantom’s account], placed at the ready.

Of course, this riverside fortification never saw combat: the British fleet on Lake Ontario had been turned aside at Charlotte by the actions of the Valiant 77. After firing a few warning shots against the fort at Charlotte and a command to surrender, Commander Yeo was shocked to see innumerable American militia appear at the forest’s edge. Unknown to the British commander, the Valiant 77 were creating an illusion of swollen numbers, by appearing at the lake’s shore and pulling back over and over again in different places. To those on the warships, it appeared as though the woods were filled with defenders. Daunted by that fictional resistance, Yeo’s fleet sailed on and Rochesterville remained safe from British dominion.

A newspaper clipping discussing the discovery of the site of Fort Bender, believed to be from the War of 1812, located near a new gas station.
Historical account discussing Fort Bender and its connection to Rochester's involvement in the War of 1812, highlighting excavations revealing foundations possibly linked to the fort.
A newspaper article discussing the excavation of a historic fort in Rochester, detailing the investigation led by Professor Herman L. Fairchild on the site and its background related to the War of 1812.
Historical newspaper article discussing the preparations by settlers in Rochester for potential conflict, mentioning Hastings R. Bender's leadership and the fortification at Deep Hollow.
An old newspaper clipping titled 'British Fleet Arrives', detailing the encounter between the British fleet and Yankee defenders at Fort Bender during the Battle of Charlotte.
Democrat & Chronicle
Tuesday, April 29, 1924
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-fort-bender-site/120163992/

Rochesterville pioneer, Edwin Scrantom, reminisced in his essay “A Boyhood Adventure” about being ten years of age and romping through the Deep Hollow near Fort Bender:

“Coming up to (the Deep Hollow) we found an earthwork thrown up on the south bank behind which, not far apart, were two small cannon pointed through an opening, and so planted that while a company of men were crossing they could be mowed down like hail devastating a field of wheat. There were also several men stationed here to watch an enemy’s approach, so that when warned, their first work was to remove the plank from the bridge, and then stand to their guns! The road beyond descended a great deal, and was enclosed on each side by thick woods, and we all felt inclined to back out, though neither broke his fears to the rest. Inquiring of the soldiers, they discouraged us, and two of them said, ‘Go back! Go back! What good can you boys do? You may all of you get killed.”

“A Boyhood Adventure,” Edwin Scrantom, 1874
A historical plat map showing the layout of properties and roads in the Deep Hollow Creek area, including John Werner & Sons and surrounding structures in Rochester.
1918 Plat Map
Red: John Werner & Sons, formerly School #7.
https://photo.libraryweb.org/rochimag/rpm/rpm00/rpm00378.jpg

John Werner Machine Works, to become John Werner & Sons Inc., manufactured confectionery machinery from the building that once housed School #7 on Lake Avenue. One can see the excavations being done on its front lawn, below, in preparation for the erection of a filling station:

Historic image of the John Werner Machine Works building in Rochester, New York, featuring a large sign on the front, surrounded by construction activity.
1924
“In this photograph, the old school building at Lake Avenue and Glendale Park bears a sign for John Werner Machine Works. The excavations in front of the building, part of the preparations for building a gas station, have uncovered what may be part of old Fort Bender.”
https://catalogplus.libraryweb.org/?section=resource&resourceid=1116812511
Close-up view of a stone foundation or wall, partially excavated, showing carefully stacked stones within an earth-filled trench.
1924
“The picture shows a portion of a stone wall, which was uncovered by workmen. It is believed to be part of Old Fort Bender, which was created as a defense against the British in 1814.”
https://catalogplus.libraryweb.org/?section=resource&resourceid=1116624890

I couldn’t find any more archaeological work having been done on the site to determine whether it was truly Fort Bender. Despite any doubt that existed, the filling station built there was named Fort Bender Filling/Service Station in honor of the old fort.

Advertisement for Fort Bender Filling Station promoting motor oil prices and availability.
Democrat & Chronicle
Wednesday, November 23, 1927
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-fort-bender-filli/120164418/
An 1875 plat map of Rochester showing the Deep Hollow Creek area with labeled properties and streets.
1926 Plat Map
Red: John Werner & Sons, formerly School #7.
https://photo.libraryweb.org/rochimag/rpm/rpm00/rpm00118.jpg
Newspaper article announcing a lease for the Fort Bender Service Station at 729 Lake Avenue to Seneca Stations, Inc., including details about the new ownership enlarging and rebuilding the station.
Democrat & Chronicle
Sunday, April 14, 1929
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-fort-bender-stati/168654541/

As the above states, the Fort Bender Service Station was sold off to Seneca Stations, Inc.; I’m not sure where “729 Lake” came from, this should still be No. 713 lake avenue, which appeared as below:

Democrat & Chronicle
Friday, June 21, 1929
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-seneca-station-7/188391931/
An old plat map showing various properties and structures in the vicinity of Lake Avenue and Glenwood Avenue, including a factory and a bowling alley, indicative of Rochester's historical development.
1950 Sanborn Maps
Red: Former #7 School, factory building for John Werner & Sons Inc.
Green: Filling station addition, where Fort Bender stones were discovered.
Blue: No. 731 Lake Avenue, a bowling alley and confectionery shop.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3804rm.g3804rm_g06217195001/?sp=90&r=0.399,0.377,0.765,0.43,0

The John Werner & Sons Inc. machine shop shut down in 1954, with the death of one of John Werner’s sons, Charles Werner. The company’s president at that time and the other son of John Werner, Theodore Werner, died May 1st, 1958.

When the old school-slash-factory was torn down specifically, I’ve yet to uncover; the lot became, and remains to this day, an automotive repair station.

An automotive repair shop lot featuring parked vehicles and a mail truck, under an overcast sky.
Google Maps
Present-day location of former #7 School/John Werner & Sons/Fort Bender Service Station, &c.

Kay Terrace

Multiple bridges and roads were built over the Deep Hollow. The first, most prominent of the crossings was Lake Avenue, of course. Later crossings were installed at Brisbane Street, which became Glenwood Avenue, Ravine Avenue, Locust Street and Emerson.

Kay Terrace was one such crossing. This road was built north-south through land contributed by carpenter Joseph Heywood Kay; the road was opened in 1889. The road would pass through the original Kay homestead at No. 73 Rowe Street, which was torn down and replaced with a newer house built at the corner of Kay Terrace.

Comparison between 1888 and 1900 plat maps.
Red: No. 69 Lexington Avenue, later No. 167 Lexington Avenue, former home of Joseph H. Kay.
Advertisement for Kay's Planing & Re-Sawing Mill, detailing services for lumber dressing and re-sawing, located at Lake Avenue and Rowe Street in Deep Hollow, Rochester.
1875 Directory
https://www.libraryweb.org/rochcitydir/images/1875/1875complete.pdf

Joseph H. Kay would have a large frame house built at the corner of Rowe Street [Lexington Ave] and Kay Terrace, No. 69 Rowe Street, later to become No. 167 Lexington Ave. This house would be demolished in 2012 after a two-alarm fire in July 2012, just a couple months after the below Google Maps image was taken:

A large blue Victorian-style house at the corner of Lexington Avenue and Kay Terrace, featuring a porch and multiple windows surrounded by greenery.
Google Maps May 2012
No. 167 Kay Terrace, home of Joseph H. Kay; demolished 2012.
A historical family portrait featuring a woman in a long coat and four children, along with a man in formal attire, seated together in a vintage setting.
The Kay Family
Left to right: Annie Elizabeth, Mary Pitts, Samuel Pitts, Joseph Heywood, & John Richard Kay

Joseph H. Kay’s sons, Samuel P. and John R. Kay, would go on to become carpenters with a shop between #7 School and the Deep Hollow ravine; for some reason its address was No. 291 Lake Avenue, even though No. 291 Lake Avenue was also a butcher’s storefront south of School #7.

Historical plat map showing properties along Lake Avenue and Leavenworth Place, including marked location of a public school.
1892 Sanborn Map
Red: No. 291 Lake Avenue, the carpentry shop of S. P. & J. H. Kay.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3804rm.g3804rm_g06217189203/?sp=33&st=image&r=0.283,0.118,0.816,0.458,0

At some point prior to 1900 this shop would be torn down; in 1907, Richard Kemp would build a bowling alley and confectioner’s shop at this location, called the Lake Avenue Bowling Hall. It is in the back room of this bowling hall that the Kodak Park Athletic Association had its first meetings.

Advertisement for R. Kemp's Ice Cream and Confectionery, detailing ice cream delivery services and location at Lake Avenue Bowling Hall.
1909 West High Senior Annual
https://www.libraryweb.org/~digitized/yearbooks/West/1909.pdf
A historical plat map showing the layout of properties, including John Werner Machine Works and a bowling alley, within Rochester, near Lake Avenue.
1911 Sanborn Map
Red: No. 731 Lake Avenue, bowling alley and confectioner’s shop.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3804rm.g3804rm_g06217191101/?sp=88&r=0.6,0.422,0.571,0.321,0

In 1911, confectioner Michael E. Rock would move from his North Clinton Avenue location to No. 731 Lake; from that point on he would be proprietor of the Lake Avenue Bowling Hall. It would become known as “Rock Bowling Hall”.

An advertisement for M.E. Rock, a store offering candy, stationery, cigars, and tobaccos, including price listings and holiday specials, located at 731 Lake Avenue.
Democrat & Chronicle
Sunday, December 21, 1924
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-m-e-rock-731-la/169556672/

Michael Rock died December 26th, 1938; his widow, Wilma Schmidt Rock, would carry on the store for ten years after. In 1948, Wilma Rock sold the property to Catholic War Veterans, Holy Rosary Post, to become a clubhouse.

Newspaper clipping announcing the purchase of the Rock Bowling Hall and restaurant by the Holy Rosary Post of Catholic War Veterans for use as their clubhouse.
Democrat & Chronicle
Sunday, May 09, 1948
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-cwv-buys-rock-bow/169561834/

This would become the Bernard F. Meyering Post, named after a Rochester soldier who died in 1945. The latest mention of this post I can find is 1950.

The building at No. 731 Lake would become the Friendship Tavern sometime before 1954. Aside from being a bar, restaurant, and bowling hall, the Friendship Tavern was also well-known as a home for live Irish traditional music sessions. Notable attendees include the Dady Brothers.

Advertisement for bowling league openings at Friendship Tavern, located at 731 Lake Avenue, highlighting options for 4 or 8-team leagues.
Democrat & Chronicle
Tuesday, August 31, 1954
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-frienship-bowling/30051370/

The Friendship Tavern experienced a devastating fire in late September, 1969:

Firefighters battle a blaze at the Friendship Tavern Bowling Hall, with smoke billowing from the building's front.
Democrat & Chronicle
Wednesday, October 01, 1969
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-fire-at-friendshi/169548841/
A vintage newspaper clipping discussing the Friendship Tavern, its Irish music events, and the community atmosphere.
Democrat & Chronicle
Sunday, April 05, 1981
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-the-friendship-ta/168668391/

Sometime between 1981 and 1988, No. 731 Lake would become Dirty & Co., a bar with a primary focus on darts-playing. In 1988, it was also the parking lot where the body of murder victim Nicola Gursky was found; the bar battled a poor reputation after this incident.

Newspaper article discussing community opinions on the neighborhood bar Dirty & Co. and a recent murder that was unrelated to the bar.
Democrat & Chronicle
Sunday, March 27, 1988
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-bar-is-respectabl/169563104/

By 1992, Dirty & Co. had eleven light-up dart boards. In 1997, Dirty & Co. went out of business. At some point, the building was torn down, leaving a long strip of grassy land on Lake Avenue’s west side.

A view of a grassy lot with utility poles and a nearby residential area, indicating former land where Deep Hollow Creek once flowed.
Google Maps
Red: Site of former No. 731 Lake Avenue.

Returning to the Kay family; [yes, that’s right, this section was about Kay Terrace] Joseph H. Kay would die June 5th, 1902.

A newspaper obituary for Joseph H. Kay, detailing his death on June 5, 1902, at age 68, and the funeral details.
Democrat & Chronicle
Saturday, June 07, 1902
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-obituary-for-jose/169401560/

His sons John and Samuel would carry on in the carpentry field, eventually founding a box company, Kay Box and Lumber Company.

Vintage advertisement for Kay Box and Lumber Company showcasing their manufacturing services for dove-tail boxes and packing cases, featuring company president and management names.
1905 Directory
https://www.libraryweb.org/rochcitydir/images/1905/1905complete.pdf

The Kay Box & Lumber Company would become the Traders Box & Lumber Company in July of 1907:

Historical photograph of the Traders Box & Lumber Co. building, featuring the company name prominently displayed on the front, with wooden structures and a water tower in the background.
1912 History of the Jews of Rochester
https://libraryweb.org/~digitized/books/History_of_the_Jews_of_Rochester.pdf

At No. 31 Kay Terrace is a church built on landfill that was once Deep Hollow Creek. Originally built in 1928 for the Christadelphian Church, it is now Iglesia De Cristo Yo Soy La Puerta.

A small white church building with a green door and stairs, surrounded by trees and a parking area.
Google Maps
Iglesia De Cristo Yo Soy La Puerta on Kay Terrace, formerly a Christadelphian Church.
A historic newspaper article announcing the dedication of the first Christadelphian Church in Rochester, describing the congregation, the church's location on Kay Terrace, and the significant speakers present at the dedication ceremony.
Democrat & Chronicle
Monday, September 03, 1928
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-christadelphian-c/169026670/
1875 plat map of Rochester highlighting the location of the Christadelphian Church and surrounding properties.
1935 Plat Map
Red: Christadelphian Church on Kay Terrace.
https://photo.libraryweb.org/rochimag/rpm/rpm00/rpm00517.jpg

West of the Canal

The Deep Hollow Creek travelled from the west side to the east side of the Erie Canal via a culvert.

A historical map from the 1875 plat showing the layout of streets and properties in Rochester, highlighting the changes in the Deep Hollow area.
1875 Atlas
The Deep Hollow west of the Erie Canal.
https://photo.libraryweb.org/rochimag/rpm/rpm00/rpm00154.jpg

In the 1890s, a siphon would be seasonally placed in the canal bank, allowing waters from the canal to flush the Deep Hollow Creek below. This was necessary now and then; the waters of the Deep Hollow Creek had become gradually thicker and more noxious with the settlement around it. An injection of fresh water during the summer would help to prevent a buildup of the sludges of domestic and industrial pollution on its banks.

A newspaper clipping discussing the installation of a siphon pipe to flush Deep Hollow Creek, detailing Health Officer Sibley's order for the maintenance of water flow.
Democrat & Chronicle
Sunday, May 05, 1895
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-will-flush-the-cr/169182255/

By 1888, most of the creek on the west side of the canal was buried as part of the West Side Sewer.

A vintage 19th century map showing the layout of streets and properties in a section of Rochester, highlighting names like Sycamore Street, Sterling Street, and Gates Avenue.
1888 Plat Street
Deep Hollow Creek, buried as part of West Side sewer.
https://catalogplus.libraryweb.org/?section=resource&resourceid=1116712765

Dr. Rossiter Johnson, an author from Rochester, spent the first 28 years of his life [roughly 1840-1868] in this area; his novel Phaeton Rogers recounts his boyhood playing in the Deep Hollow:

Historical newspaper excerpt reflecting on childhood memories in Rochester, discussing the transformation of Deep Hollow into a landfill.
Democrat & Chronicle
Sunday, January 13, 1918
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-deep-hollow-creek/169184018/

Hollow Filled

Due to Rochester’s development around it, the Deep Hollow Creek was gradually filled in, bit-by-bit. A combination of being filled purposefully and becoming an impromptu dump eventually saw the deep ravine become the featureless, flat lots of land we know today. As Susan Huntington Hooker, wife of nurseryman Horace Hooker put it in a letter to the D&C, “every lot owner in Rochester makes his lot as flat as a flounder.”

A historical newspaper article discussing the filling of the Deep Hollow ravine in Rochester and comparing it to Shady Lane in Pittsburgh, emphasizing urban development and land desirability.
Democrat & Chronicle
Letter from Susan Huntington Hooker, wife of nurseryman Horace Hooker.
Saturday, November 11, 1916
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-susan-huntington/168966657/

But even by 1916, a majority of the damage had already been done to the Hollow. Deep Hollow ravine was but a stubby shadow of the former grand rift which stretched all the way to Gates Center from the Genesee’s rocky bank.

One significant step towards filling in the Hollow was using the creek as a natural drainage route for west side sewers. Late in the 19th century, extensive sewerage was installed in the area; it was decided that the sewers would disgorge their waters into the Deep Hollow, and the creek would carry the wastewater east to the Genesee River.

Over time, the open sewage pouring into the Deep Hollow Creek caused unpleasant smells, which became a complaint of neighbors to the ravine.

A newspaper article discussing complaints from residents near Deep Hollow about the stench from sewage emptying into Deep Hollow creek.
Democrat & Chronicle
Friday, November 27, 1896
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-deep-hollow-sewag/169360029/

The sewer kept being expanded and expanded, but most often at the expense of the Deep Hollow. More and more of the waters were piped through the ravine, and then those inevitably buried. Meanwhile, both residential and industrial neighbors dumped garbage wantonly into Deep Hollow. This continued for literal decades–consider that this below complaint is from 1968, at which point the A. Friederich & Sons company had held the property for 53 years. I have no doubt the dumping was largely unchecked during that period of time.

A废弃物倾倒场景,展示A. Friederich & Sons公司在Lake Avenue附近的垃圾堆积,环境杂乱,背景有房屋。
Democrat & Chronicle
Thursday, May 16, 1968
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-dump-ordered-clea/168920775/

The solution seems to have been the same across the board for the sewers and dumps of Deep Hollow: cap it off with earth. Nowadays, there is a flat set of lots where the dramatic geographical feature once reigned; largely recreational activities take place on former Deep Hollow land, with some commercial lots and one church. What’s underneath them, though, is anyone’s guess; garbage of all sorts, most definitely.

A newspaper clipping discussing the leaking of toxic chemicals into the Genesee River near the Lower Falls, emphasizing the issue's urgency and the environmental impact.
Democrat & Chronicle
Friday, October 12, 1979
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-creosote-problem/156767530/
A newspaper clipping discussing Deep Hollow, a ravine near the Lower Falls in Rochester, highlighting its history of being filled and used as a dumping area.
Text detailing a height measurement of 50 feet.
Democrat & Chronicle
Monday, June 23, 1986
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-deep-hollow/156650700/

But now you know that if you ever went to the Lake Avenue Tops while it was extant, you were parking in a lot paved over the old Deep Hollow ravine, and entering a store built over an old mill. If you go to Dunkin’ Donuts, you’re entering what was once a Wendy’s built on reclaimed Deep Hollow land in 1978. If you attend Iglesia De Cristo Yo Soy La Puerta, you are in the former Christadelphian church, also built upon reclaimed Deep Hollow Land. To me, that knowledge lends a new layer to the ground beneath my feet.

A vintage advertisement for Wendy's, highlighting its hamburger offerings and announcing a new store opening at 741 Lake Avenue, across from Tops.
Democrat & Chronicle
Wednesday, January 04, 1978
Cropped area of ad.
https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-wendys-opening-7/168955229/

I still think I’d rather have a nice ravine with a creek, though.


A Deep Hollow Feeling

Overall, it was far too easy for Rochester to lose yet another one of its grand natural features. Even as everyone lamented the ruining of Deep Hollow Creek it redoubled. In more ways than one, this unfortunate story is echoed in the burial of Thomas Creek and its scenic Palmer’s Glen, proving it was no isolated phenomenon but a repeated mistake of urban development.

Knowing this truly makes one appreciate the efforts of those people in Rochester’s past who worked tirelessly to preserve the natural spaces Rochester enjoys today.


Supporting Gonechester

Did you enjoy what you read? Consider giving me a little tip at buymeacoffee.com/Gonechester, by way of saying “thanks!” It’s not necessary, but it certainly helps!

2 responses to “Deep Hollow”

  1. Intersting Article. Got me looking and this talks about McCrackenVille. Reminiscences of McCrackenville AS RELATED BY MRS. HIRAM LAVIRA BLANCHARD
    By CHaries Hastings WILTSIE. https://archive.org/details/rochesterhistori0006edwa/page/n165/mode/2up?q=McCrackenville

Leave a Reply

Discover more from Gonechester

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading